Heteronyms are words that are spelled the same but have different meanings when pronounced differently. Here's thirteen sentences using heteronyms . Read through these sentences and see if you can read them correctly. It's amazing how the mind can know the difference.
These came from a worksheet my daughter brought home from school. I thought they were cool.
1. The bandage was wound around the wound.
2. The farm was used to produce produce.
3. The landfill was so full, they had to refuse more refuse.
4. He could be the lead if he would get the lead out.
5. Since there is no time like the present, it is time to present the present.
6. When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
7. I did not object to the object.
8. The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
9. They were to close to the door to close it.
10.The buck does strange antics when the does are around.
11. To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
12. The wind was too strong for us to wind the sail.
13. I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.